DNR offers business opportunities in Michigan state parks

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources has announced several business opportunities for operating concessions to provide goods and/or services in several Michigan state parks and other DNR facilities.

Those interested can visit www.michigan.gov/stateparkconcessions to view the list of current opportunities.

“The services that concessionaires offer at Michigan’s state parks are vital to the overall visitor experience,” said Ron Olson, chief of the DNR Parks and Recreation Division. “Whether it’s food options, watercraft or bike rentals, campground stores or other amenities, these small business owners operating within our park system bring real value and choices to visitors.”

The DNR currently is seeking operators for the following concessions:

Belle Isle Park bagged ice sales
Belle Isle Park giant slide
Burt Lake State Park beach concession
Copper Harbor lighthouse tours and store concession
Grayhaven Marina watercraft rentals and tours
Holly Recreation Area aqua park concession
Island Lake Recreation Area kayak and stand-up paddleboard rentals
Little Presque Isle Recreation Area mobile food concession
Tawas Point State Park canoe, kayak, paddleboard, bike rental concession
Van Riper State Park aqua park and beach concession
Waterloo Recreation Area beach and campground store
Yankee Springs Recreation Area beach store and inflatable water slide concession

Bid lettings are set for each of these concessions and continue to be set for other opportunities as they become available. Concessionaires have the ability to enter into a contract for up to seven years. The expectation of the DNR is that interested concessionaires would have prior business experience and adequate working capital to fund the desired concession.

The DNR will make arrangements to visit concession sites with interested bidders. For more information about concession opportunities at Michigan state parks, contact Lori Ruff, concession and lease manger for the DNR Parks and Recreation Division, at 989-275-5151 or ruffl@michigan.gov.