DNREC announces expanded youth hunting days

DOVER – To promote youth hunting participation and recruitment, DNREC’s Division of Fish & Wildlife has expanded and designated special youth hunting days on both public and private lands statewide. Youth hunters ages 10 through 15 can enjoy youth waterfowl hunting days on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018 and Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019. Expanded deer hunting opportunities are provided for youth hunters by adding a Sunday to the traditional Saturday youth deer hunting day, for a full weekend of youth deer hunting days on Nov. 3 and 4. The special deer hunting days are also open to adult non-ambulatory disabled hunters, but the youth waterfowl hunting days are open only to youth ages 10 through 15.

Youth hunters must be accompanied by an adult companion age 21 or older who possesses a valid Delaware hunting license or a License Exempt Number (LEN). Only the youth hunter may possess a firearm when participating in these special hunting days, and they must be of sufficient physical size and strength to safely handle a firearm. Youth hunters age 13 through 15 must purchase a Delaware junior hunting license, have completed a hunter education course, and possess their hunter education card. Adult companions must also possess a Delaware waterfowl (duck) stamp, unless exempted, and a federal migratory bird stamp for youth waterfowl hunting days. Waterfowl hunters under the age of 16 are not required to purchase a Delaware waterfowl (duck) stamp or a federal migratory bird stamp. Youth hunters age 10 through 12 must possess a LEN and may take a hunter education course.

If participating in youth hunting days on state wildlife areas where deer stands and waterfowl blinds are assigned through a daily lottery, youth hunters and accompanying adults do not need to purchase a deer stand/waterfowl blind permit. A deer stand permit or waterfowl blind permit is required to hunt these areas during all other deer and waterfowl seasons. The same waiver of the deer stand/waterfowl blind permit also applies for non-ambulatory disabled hunters during the special deer hunting days.

More information on hunting license and Delaware waterfowl stamp requirements is available at Delaware Licenses. All waterfowl and other migratory game bird (except crow) hunters will need a Federal Harvest Information Program (HIP) number. To register for a LEN or HIP number, hunters can go to Delaware Hunter and Trapper Registration or call toll free 1-855-335-4868.

To purchase a hunting license, either in person or online, hunters born on or after Jan. 1, 1967, must have a basic hunter education safety course card/number. Hunters who took a Delaware hunter education course starting in 2008 can print their hunter education card by going to http://de.gov/huntersafety. Hunters who took their Delaware hunter education course before 2008 should call the Hunter Education Office at 302-735-3600, ext. 1 to obtain a hunter safety card.

Registered motor vehicles used to access designated wildlife areas owned or managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife are required to display a Conservation Access Pass (CAP). Hunters can opt to receive one free annual CAP with the purchase of any Delaware hunting license. To obtain a free CAP, or to purchase an additional pass, hunters will need the registration card for the vehicle to which the pass will be assigned.

Delaware hunting licenses, Delaware waterfowl stamps, and Conservation Access Passes can be purchased online at Delaware Licenses, at the license desk in DNREC’s Dover office at 89 Kings Highway, Dover, DE 19901, or from hunting license agents statewide. Federal migratory bird stamps are available at U.S. Post Offices, Bombay Hook and Prime Hook national wildlife refuges, and online at Federal duck stamps.

For more information on hunting, please see the 2018-2019 Delaware Hunting & Trapping Guide and Wildlife Area Hunting Maps. Hard copies of guide and newly-updated hunting maps are also available at the license desk in DNREC’s Dover office. More information on hunting licenses, season details, and conservation access passes is also available by calling the Wildlife Section office at 302-739-9912.