The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is still accepting bids for alligator hunting on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) properties and state wildlife refuges for the 2019-2021 alligator harvest seasons. Applications will be accepted until bid opening at 10 a.m. on June 21 at the LDWF Lafayette Field Office, 200 Dulles Drive, Lafayette, LA 70506.
Eligible alligator hunters are chosen through a bid system every three years on selected WMA/Refuge/USACE properties.
Bids for alligator hunting will be solicited for the following WMA/Refuge/USACE properties: Grassy Lake, Spring Bayou, and Pomme de Terre (Avoyelles Parish), Attakapas (Iberia, St. Martin and St. Mary parishes), Sherburne – USACE lands (Iberville, Pointe Coupee and St. Martin parishes), Dewey W. Wills (La Salle and Catahoula parishes), Manchac (St. John Parish), Pearl River – North of Interstate 10, Pearl River – Between Interstate 10 and U.S. Hwy 90 and Pearl River – South of U.S. Hwy 90 (St. Tammany Parish), Joyce (Tangipahoa and Livingston parishes), Maurepas Swamp (St. John, St. James, Ascension, Livingston and St. Charles parishes), Indian Bayou – USACE property (St. Landry and St. Martin parishes), Atchafalaya Delta (St. Mary Parish), Pointe-aux-Chenes (Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes), Salvador (St. Charles Parish), Pass-a-Loutre (Plaquemines Parish) and St. Tammany Refuge (St. Tammany Parish).
A total of 33 alligator hunting opportunities are available for bid. The number of alligator tags that will be issued varies depending on the area awarded. For specific details on the number of alligator hunter opportunities and tags available by area, please see the bid application notification.
Interested participants may review and print out the bid application notification and form from LDWF’s website at www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wildlife/alligator-hunting or request by phone at the phone numbers below or request in writing from Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Attn: Leslie Campbell, 2019-2021 WMA Alligator Harvest Bids, P.O. Box 62250, Lafayette, LA 70596.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to submit a bid:
1) Must be a Louisiana resident at least 18 years of age.
2) Must have previous alligator hunting experience in Louisiana.
3) Must be able to provide essential equipment for alligator hunting on the WMA/Refuge/USACE property on which they are bidding.
4) Must be able to report to the WMA/Refuge/USACE property each morning until alligator tag quota is completed.
5) Must follow specific instructions issued by LDWF personnel.
6) Must maintain required records.
7) Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check. All applicants will be screened for past wildlife and criminal violations. Applicants with felony convictions, that pled guilty to a felony or that have pled guilty, paid a fine for, negotiated/agreed to a pretrial intervention (PTI)/diversion for or been convicted of Class Two or above wildlife, WMA/Refuge/USACE or littering violations within the last five years, as determined by the LDWF enforcement division, shall be disqualified.
For more information, please call the appropriate LDWF office (Lafayette 337-735-8667, Pineville 318-487-5885, Hammond 985-543-4777, or send e-mail to LAalligatorprogram@wlf.la.gov.